If you find a transaction on your credit card or One Account (debit card related) statement or receive an SMS for a transaction that you do not recognise or believe to be incorrect you can contact our Client Service Centre to assist you.
We may be able to process a chargeback on your behalf which is where a bank reverses all (or part of) the amount of a disputed transaction back to a Merchant in accordance with the Visa scheme rules.
To help our Client Service Centre assist you, make sure you have the following information available:
- your name and the last four digits of your card number;
- details of the Transaction you consider is wrong or unauthorised;
- details of the Monthly Statement in which the unauthorised Transaction or error first appeared;
- the dollar amount and an explanation as to why you believe it is an unauthorised Transaction or an error;
- details of other users authorised to operate the account; and
- details of whether your card is signed and your PIN secure.
If you wish to dispute a transaction on your card, our Client Service Centre will send you a dispute form which you are required to return to us within in 45 days of the transaction date.
On some occasions, they may direct you to contact the merchant directly in the first instance.
Upon receipt of your dispute form, BOQ Specialist will investigate the transaction and post a temporary credit to your account while the dispute is lodged with Visa. You will receive confirmation in writing when your dispute is lodged.
Merchants have 45 days to challenge a dispute and re-debit the amount to your account if they believe they have information that may help you recognise or remedy the transaction.
This is a regular occurrence in the dispute process and no reason to be alarmed. In this instance we will forward you the supporting documents when they are provided to us by the merchant. If you wish to continue with the dispute, you will be required to inform us in writing or by return email within 7 days and a second temporary credit may be posted to your account.
If the merchant does not challenge your dispute, you will see the annotation “Temporary credit – now permanent” on your credit card statement and your dispute case will be closed.
Disputes and chargebacks fall under the following three categories:
Unauthorised transaction, where your card number has been fraudulently used:
To protect the remaining balance on your card, you will be required to close your card if an un-authorised transaction has been fraudulently processed on your account.
Our Client Service Centre will organise a replacement card to be sent to you.
If you do not recognise the business name or the transaction or the amount that appears on your statement:
- Check receipts issued to you or your additional cardholder for that date to see if you can reconcile the transaction.
- Could the date of the transaction differ due to a delay in the amount being charged to your account?
- Could the amount be different due to overseas exchange rates or a tip?
- Has an additional cardholder made the purchase?
- Has the merchant already credited your account with the queried amount?
- Could the location of the transaction be the head office of the merchant?
- Could the merchant be trading under a different name, for example their parent company?
More details on the business can often be found by conducting a quick internet search on the name appearing on your statement.
If a dispute for an “unrecognised or unauthorised” transaction reveals that you participated in the transaction, you will be charged a $35 dispute processing fee.
Dispute with a merchant
Where you have an issue with goods or services purchased using your card and have not been able to remedy the issue with the merchant in the first instance, we may have a “chargeback right” under the Visa dispute resolution scheme. This may enable BOQ Specialist to recover all (or part of) your funds from the merchant’s bank.
When submitting your dispute, please be sure to include as much information as possible. On your dispute form, explain in detail and attach any correspondence with the merchant, include any invoices, receipts and web addresses relating to the purchase. Please also include a detailed description of the good or service you were expecting and the issue with the good or service. Failure to provide sufficient information and evidence may hinder our ability to submit a chargeback.
We may be able to lodge a chargeback for disputes that fall under the below categories:
- Goods/Services not received
- Goods/Services not as described/poor quality
- Cancelled goods or services
- Duplicate Transactions
- Incorrectly charged amounts
- Refunds not processed
- Transactions paid by other means
- Not receipt of ATM funds
- Cancelled recurring debits
Our ability to help will be limited by contracts that you may have signed with the store/merchant. We may not be able to help in some cases such as billing disputes, contract related disputes or disputes about the quality of service provided by a merchant. In these instances, we will ask you to contact the merchant or service provider directly.
IF YOU BELIEVE A TRANSACTION IS WRONG OR UNAUTHORISED OR YOUR ACCOUNT STATEMENT CONTAINS ANY INSTANCES OF UNAUTHORISED USE OR ERRORS, YOU MUST IMMEDIATELY NOTIFY BOQ SPECIALIST BY CALLING THE CLIENT SERVICE CENTRE ON 1300 160 160. FAILURE TO DO SO MAY RESULT IN THE LOSS OF A CHARGEBACK RIGHT